Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day Three

Day three made me the most nervous. Since I had reservations in Savannah that night, I had to make it there, an eight hour or so trek. I was also uneasy about the hotel I would be staying at the, the Holiday Inn Midtown on Abercorn. I'd booked the hotel through priceline.com, my first experience doing so, and had gotten a ludicrously good deal for a fairly prime Savannah location--40$ per night, including taxes. So, I really wasn't expecting much.

The day did have a great start--I left Virginia in a lightweight cotton skirt, bare legs, sandals, and a tee-shirt!

The drive turned out to be very easy and I loved ticking off states I'd never been to before--North Carolina, South Carolina, and, at long last, Georgia! I stopped at the welcome centre there and asked for a map of Savannah so I could find my hotel. Why I didn't Google Maps myself directions ahead of time, I have no idea. I'd thought of everything but that! The lady at the information counter did have a map, and knew exactly where the Holiday Inn is located, so she gave me super clear directions. I found the hotel without any problems.

When I stepped into my room, I was so relieved--it smelled good, which is rare for a hotel room. I liked where it was located; at the back of the motel on the second level, so I knew it would be quiet. The bathroom caulking needed updating but, otherwise, the room felt nice and clean, a real bargain. I wound up being beyond satisfied with my stay there. priceline.com is great!

Up until I got to the room, I'd been raring to go in my Savannah exploration and thought I would take a bus downtown. But once I got my luggage up to my room, I realised that I was beat, but in desperate need of exercise.

I decided to hike down to the Publix, a grocery store, to get a gallon of spring water. It was a surprising tough walk for its shortness; Savannah was HOT and very sticky. After the winter we'd endured, I relished this heat and humidity and couldn't help turning my face upwards to drink in as much of the late day sun as possible.

Once I dropped off the water at the motel room, I decided to go up Abercorn a bit to see what restaurants were available in the mall area. There, I found an authentic Mexican cantina, where I over indulged on Corona beer, margaritas, enchiladas, burritos, and nachos. Vacation had truly begun!

No comments: