Sunday, April 6, 2008

Day Eight

Saturday, I was determined to make it home even though it would be a LONG haul. If I didn't get held up at the border, I was twelve hours from home, give or take a bit depending on the number of stops I took.

At exit 133 on I-95, I took route 17 which led me to I-66 which in turn took me to I-81 which would take me straight to the Ontario/New York border, avoiding DC and Baltimore without adding significantly more time to my journey. I enjoyed this route immensely; it was mostly rural with some services, not too busy, and offered fantastic views. Like on Friday, I took it easy, stopping as needed.

I want to visit all 50 states (as well as all ten provinces and three territories!) before I die and I was thrilled that this trip would take me to the halfway point. I was not expecting to go over the halfway point. As it turned out, the detour meant going through a state that I hadn't realised I'd be going through, West Virginia. State 26! And that's not counting Washington DC.

I made it to Syracuse just before 7PM and began to get that second wind I get on road trips that tells me that I'm almost home. As long as the border crossing was quick and painless, I was less then three hours away from my bed.

The crossing turned out to be very quick. "I live in Gatineau, been out of the country 8 days, bought less than 200CDN worth of stuff", that was it. I was out of there in under two minutes, wait time included.

I stopped for dinner in Brockville, then shot home, praying that I'd have enough gas to get there, which I did.

That's it. Not a very exciting trip for anyone reading this, I'm afraid, but I had a good time. I'm just glad I like to drive because I averaged 500KM per day of this trip!

Oh, and spring seems to have sprung in my absence! *crossing my fingers*

No comments: